Saturday, June 28, 2008


Kitchen floor!

Windows going in this week. There was a slight hitch when our planning application - which you need if you're going to do anything whatsoever on the outside of the house - was sent back as incomplete. It takes 2 months from when the full dossier goes in, so whatever happens we don't have permission to do the windows. Last week I was almost sick when I went round on Saturday morning to see various men hanging off the roof fiddling with new velux windows, in full view of the neighbours at the back, where it so happens that the mother of the architect I have been dealing with at the Mairie happens to live (as he told me when he came round to tell me last time I got a telling off). I could feel her curtains twitching. I'm waiting for an angry letter but nothing so far.

Let us not forget that the French have a long and noble tradition of ratting on their neighbours so I don't see any reason why we should get away with this. But I've been told - and am choosing to believe - that as long as the dossier is in and we're not actually changing the exterior, it's not a problem. And if all else fails I shall ratchet up my English accent and apologise.

1 comment:

jenny said...

Velux windows...I am jealous. And yes, the French gallantly love to tattle on each other. Who knew home renovation could be so close to The Sorrow and the Pity?