Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I think I ought to be thinking we're on the home run. I know we are actually, but it doesn't exactly seem like it, the place is still quite a mess. But it's getting there. I hope.

Alien invasion of the radiators:





This is a chauffe plat. A radiator with a little cupboard in it for keeping your roast potatoes warm. May be used on a cold day for warming up your knickers while you're having a shower:





Raphael's Lulworth Blue bedroom, with concrete floor. It was sagging alarmingly and after some thought we decided we had to change it. It's probably going to look crap, cheap parquet always does, though this isn't particularly cheap it must be said - but better than sagging and creaking.





You can sort of see the colour of the hall and staircase here. You can also see the state of the parquet on the stairs. Covered in wierd hairy stuff, like the sock fluff you sometimes get between your toes:




I had these friends in London, both architects, who did that very London thing of buying a Victorian terraced house and gutting it to make way for a lovely, minimalist interior. They moved about two years later. "I just hated the place," K told me, "after living through the hell of the renovations, I couldn't wait to get out and move somewhere that wasn't filled with the phantom shadows of the builders." I didn't understand it then. Now I am rather afraid I think I do. 

7 comments:

jenny said...

OH that goodness you have surfaced from the sea of renovation. I like your radiators. Gives one optimistic hope of warm winter evenings, or perhaps of warm knickers. Like the color of R's room. Do not despair! All will be lovely in the end. Think of Fanny in Love in a Cold Climate, in love with her newly painted and decorated house in Oxford, adoring the scent of fresh paint and the gleaming windows and reveling in the fact that it's all hers. You will, too.

jenny said...

that should be THANK goodness.

jenny said...

i also have to say i am SO looking forward to staying in this house.

Natasha said...

I am SO looking forward to you coming.

will you come even if there is no sanitation?

only kidding. There WILL BE SANITATION.

jenny said...

i would come even if i had to pee in a bucket.

Natasha said...

We'll keep the toilet on the top landing for you if you like. i kind of want to keep it anyway, I love the idea of an open plan toilet greeting you when you've puffed your way up a million or so stairs. Who can wait to go through a door and close it behind them? I need the toilet NOW!

thunder and lightning here, and torrential rain.

emi guner said...

I'll come and stay in the chauffe plat! I promise not to pee in there!