Monday, April 7, 2008

My friend A, who knows everyone round here, looked knowingly at me the other day when I delightedly told her that every time I go round to the house, whether it's Easter Monday or a snowy Saturday afternoon (there was an inch of snow on the car this morning, like an unseasonal harbinger of discontent for the Olympic flame that barely made it through Paris today for all the protestors), the painters are in there diligently stripping away, or plastering, laying glass fibre paper (a new one on me, which a little scarily hides any superficial cracks in the walls, but I am assured that if anything serious is going on it will split, which I suppose is a good thing) or layering on lashings of undercoat. They are so far ahead of schedule that they are ready to polish and varnish the floors.

The first floor and downstairs are looking coolly beautiful in their underclothes:





According to A, the reason they are steaming ahead with my house is every other project these guys are supposed to be working on (including a grim tragedy when a very beautiful old house that always makes me think it would sit well in Charleston, north Carolina, in its lacy prettiness, burned down a few months ago almost to a shell (noone was injured, it caught fire during the school run, which may or may not contain a moral for us all, if you can find it)) is languishing, whilst my builder's entire team is doing overtime on my place. Do I care? I most certainly do and I jolly well hope they will continue to focus all their attention on us and ignore everyone else.

They are so bizarrely ahead of schedule that they have started on the third floor, which they weren't meant to get to until October:













That is going to be my bath one of these days. I asked them to reinforce the bathroom floor; the bath apparently weighs 200 kilos when empty and obviously a good deal more filled with water and me.

The plumber is hard at work like a mole in the cellar. Every so often he pops up for air. He really does look like a mole, he's small and a little squat with whiskers and chubby cheeks, and as you would expect from a mole, holes are appearing all over the house (ready to receive the 20 odd renovated old cast iron radiators that I ordered last week).

Tomorrow I'm going to bite the bullet and order taps and baths and things. I'm bored of thinking about all that so I suppose the only thing to do is to do it and then forget about it. We still haven't ordered the kitchen either. I can't stand all this decision making.

10 comments:

jenny said...

you have found a work crew straight from the gods. homeowners around the world marvel! i cannot wait, cannot WAIT to come visit your house. by myself, i think. and south carolina, charleston is south carolina.

Natasha said...

Oops. Sorry Charleston (was mostly just wanting to avoid any misunderstanding that I might be refering to Vanessa Bell's lovely pad in Sussex).

When, when, WHEN will you come and visit? Lots of room for little girls to play, if Dinah wants to come too. And do corporate lawyers really get no vacation at all??

jenny said...

lawyers get vacation, definitely. we're going to berlin in may--from the 13 to the 22nd--for my birthday. after that, who knows. i realized with a start the other day how long it had been since i was last in france and thought to myself, "that's embarrassing." i won't tell you how long. so, fall perhaps? late september/early october? i promise nothing, yet plan secretly to myself. and then there's the option of coming all by myself, which might be the best one of all.

emi guner said...

but why stay in berlin for so long?
pop over to paris and I'll meet up with both of you there!
otherwise, paris in september sounds like a dream.

emi guner said...

also natasha, your people are from another world. that just doesn't happen.months ahead of schedule? where did you find them?

Natasha said...

I am aware of the notion of tempting fate. Tfoot tfoot tfoot, as my granny would have said. We have a loooong way to go chaps.

But we should be able to put you up in let's say October to be sure. Will you both really come?

jenny said...

why NOT stay in berlin for so long? i love it there. but paris in october? sounds deeeeelightful. and for your home's sake, i say pfui, pfui, pfui.

emi guner said...

it's been a week, get on with it.
get a saari kitchen. we have one, it's great.

http://www.pinjasto.fi/

emi guner said...

the venezia range.

jenny said...

do you keep your kitchen as tidy as the one in the photos?